The Red Cross Red Crescent Asia Pacific Fundraisers’ Network (APFN) is a membership-based network established to be an ongoing, self-sustaining, National Society-led initiative which meets the needs and gives sustained benefits to its diverse members. It aims to help fundraising professionals within National Societies to form a self-sustaining network to consolidate fundraising skills, and share knowledge and experience within the Asia Pacific zone. The APFN supports the Red Cross Red Crescent Strategy2020 and contributes to the goal of the Federation-Wide Resource Mobilization Strategy (FWRMS) in building the capacities of the National Societies in the Asia Pacific Zone. With an annual fee of CHF500, member National Societies gain access to tools and useful information; access to advisors, consultants and support teams; training and e-learning.
The APFN is geared to: Do more , by bringing together National Societies in Asia Pacific to work on common goals related to Resource Mobilization; Do better by building a strong network of fundraising leaders with professional skills and expertise; and Reach further, by increasing income to help more vulnerable people.
For the Member National Societies:
1. To support and enable networking among the Asia Pacific member National Societies
2. To represent National Society members in partnerships and collaborations
3. To share best practices of successful fundraising tools, techniques and learning among member National Societies
4. To share resourceful network, resource persons or work partners among National Societies
5. To change the mindset on resource mobilization, making it a priority within the work of the National Societies.
For individual fundraisers:
1. To enhance the fundraising skills of members
2. To develop them into excellent leaders in their fields of choice
3. To create fundraising mentors within themselves
4. To appreciate their role as fundraiser and eventually stay with the National Society in the longer term
Background and Development
The creation of the APFN was based on a commitment made by Asia Pacific National Societies during the 2006 Regional Conference in Singapore to initiate a sustainable network of fundraising professionals. Over the course of 2009, preparations took place for its inaugural meeting. This was fully supported by the New Zealand Red Cross together with the steering group members representing the four regions in the Asia Pacific zone. The inaugural meeting of the APFN called Hui (the Maori word for a meeting) was held in Auckland, New Zealand on April 27-30, 2010. The said meeting was attended by 30 participants from 18 National Societies.
In 2011, a new set of Steering Group was organized to carry on the expectations of the network. The APFN has welcomed the following new members representing the regions of the Asia Pacific zone: Dr. Gwendolyn Pang, APFN Chair/Philippine Red Cross; Mr. David Armstrong, Australian Red Cross; Mr. Otohiko Hori, Japanese Red Cross; Mr. Sirajul Islam Molla, Bangladesh Red Crescent; and Ms. Janprappa Vitchitcholchai, Thai Red Cross.
The 2nd APFN Meeting, the APFN "Jer Kan" 2012 was held in Bangkok, Thailand on July 15-17, 2013 where 52 participants from 20 National Societies participated. The 3rd meeting, the APFN "Pulong" 2013 was held in Manila, Philippines on July 4-6, 2013 with 111 participants from 18 National Societies attended.
The strategy for the coming years will be defined and based on a plan of action. The Steering Group and the member National Societies will continue working on establishing a flourishing and self-sustainable network.