Andrew Macalister
The Vanuatu Red Cross has begun a major relief programme, as the full impact of Cyclone Ivy becomes clear.
The cyclone, carrying winds of 130-150 km/h, battered the small Pacific nation on 26 February. Reports suggest significant damage in some areas, especially on Vanuatu’s northern and central islands, with an estimated 2,500 families made homeless or seriously affected, and one death reported to date.
Vanuatu Red Cross interim Chief Executive, David Neal, said the Red Cross had been active on the main island of Efate since Thursday, and was today despatching 400 family kits from existing disaster preparedness stocks to the island of Paama, where a reported 90 per cent of the population is affected. Each kit contains a range of non-food items, such as tarpaulins, water tablets, water containers, kitchen utensils and hygiene kits.
The head of the International Federation’s delegation in the Pacific, Leon Prop, says the need for support will continue over coming weeks. “Our immediate priority will be to provide a further 2,000 family kits to cover housing and shelter needs for affected people, with the support of the donor community,” he said.
The Red Cross operation is being supported by the governments of Australia, France and New Zealand. The New Zealand Red Cross has also donated $10,000 for relief items and is sending an experienced relief worker to Vanuatu, while the International Federation is sending staff from Papua New Guinea and Fiji to assist.