The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies today issued a revised emergency appeal for a total of approximately 5,2 million Swiss francs (4,2 million US/3.2 million euro) to support the Ethiopian Red Cross Society in its response to the recent flooding for a period of 9 months.
“Floods in Ethiopia are seasonal. However, the magnitude of the current flooding is unprecedented”, says David Overlack who heads the International Federation’s field assessment and coordination team dispatched to Ethiopia. Since the floods started early August, as many as eight regions have been affected. In South Omo, the Omo River and the Turkana Lake overflowed their banks. As a result, 14 islands were formed. Access to these areas is very difficult. According to the Ethiopian Disaster Prevention and Prepareness Agency, 639 people lost their lives, nearly 200,000 people have been affected and 500,000 have been made vulnerable.
Many of them are agro-pastoralists who have lost everything. Thousands of livestock have been killed, more than 42,000 hectares of crops were flooded, which causes growing concern for food security and livelihoods in the coming months.
Another identified problem is the spread of acute watery diarrhoea, which had already started before the floods. By the end of last month, 16,555 cases had been confirmed. 196 people have already died since April in five regions, including the capital, Addis Ababa. Malaria cases are also expected to rise.
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society mobilized resources as soon as the floods started. Volunteers were involved in search and rescue activities, distribution of relief items and psycho-social support within the communities. In cooperation with National Societies of Red Cross/Red Crescent and other humanitarian agencies working in Ethiopia, the International Federation’s response will cover identified immediate needs such as providing 2,100 tarpaulins, 11,200 blankets, 30,600 kitchen utensils, 3,100 jerry cans, 6,300 sleeping mats and more than 1,000 mosquito nets.
Other actions include the provision of safe water points and the construction of 50 latrines in the temporary camps set up for displaced people. Another priority is re-establishing livelihoods for affected communities and helping them with rebuilding their villages taking into account the recurring nature of the floods. More Ethiopia Red Cross volunteers will also be trained to carry on health promotion campaigns to reduce the threat of communicable diseases. Diarrhoeal and cholera kits targeting up to 3,000 beneficiaries and emergency health kits covering the needs of 20,000 people are ready to be distributed in preparation for possible outbreaks.
More than 25,000 vulnerable people will benefit from the revised appeal.
“Given the fact that the rainy season in some parts of Ethiopia starts only in September and runs until the end of October, the situation could deteriorate further,” says Amna Al-Ahmar, the International Federation’s desk officer for Eastern Africa. “We are also closely monitoring the situation in neighboring countries including Sudan for which a preliminary appeal launched on August 18,” she says. A special coordinator for the floods in the Horn of Africa has also been appointed to supervise regional and international efforts.