IFRC

The International Federation launches emergency appeal for neglected flood victims in Zambia and Namibia

Published: 23 March 2007

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is launching emergency appeals seeking CHF 1,675,551 (USD1,383,120.69 ) in total to support the Zambia and Namibia Red Cross Societies’ response to the devastating floods which have left thousands of people homeless in the last few weeks.

In two separate appeals, the International Federation seeks to assist 1,000 households in Zambia and up to 3 000 households affected by the floods in the Caprivi Strip. Both operations seek to urgently assist the affected communities with relief materials, temporary shelter, blankets and other food and non-food items. Its also seeks to ensure access to adequate safe and clean water, sanitation facilities for the affected families.

Floods have increasingly become recurrent especially along the main Zambezi river valley. The Meteorological department in Zambia has warned that there could be more rains in March and April which may worsen the situation. “In the most recent months the attention has shifted from these countries “Even though the situation in Zambia and Namibia has not hit the headlines, the situation there is very serious and need urgent attention,” says Farid Abdulkadir, the International Federation’s Regional Disaster Management Coordinator in Southern Africa.

“According to assessment conducted so far, 1,400,000 people have been affected in 41 districts. The floods have damaged houses, water supply and sanitation facilities and economic infrastructure such as bridges and roads which have made the areas inaccessible,” says Mr. Charles Mushitu, the Zambia Red Cross Secretary General. “More people are likely to be stranded as the water levels continue to rise.” He also warned that with thousands of acres of field crops having been affected, this may signify another year of serious food shortages.

In Namibia, heavy rains have contributed to the Zambezi River bursting its banks causing flooding in the Caprivi strip. Four constituencies namely Kabbe, Katima Rural, Linyanti and Kongola are most affeceted. The government has evacuated people to higher ground whilst others moved to temporary safer areas in the same area. Some families have already taken their cattle and families to higher ground, especially those residing close to the river banks and the nearby flood plains.

“The situation is deteriorating as many villages, fields, cattle and boreholes have been submerged, and people are living in harsh conditions without shelter, food and safe drinking water,” says Mrs. Razia Essack-Kauaria, the Secretary Genera of Namibia Red Cross. The roads in the flood plains are no longer passable.

On January 16, the International Federation released CHF 54,000Swiss francs (US$ 29,800/euro 22,700) from its Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) to support the Zambia Red Cross emergency operation, while another CHF 112,877 was allocated to the Namibia Red Cross to start the initial response operation on the 26th of February. It is currently supporting Mozambique, Angola and Namibia Red Cross responding to the flooding in those countries.

Map

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 187 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. About this site & copyright