IFRC

International Federation launches emergency appeal as the Philippines faces another violent storm

Published: 3 October 2006

As a new tropical storm bears down on the Philippines, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is launching a preliminary emergency appeal for 5.7 million Swiss francs ($4.6 million USD/euro3.6 million) to support the Philippines National Red Cross (PNRC) in assisting over 126,000 people affected by last week’s Typhoon Xangsane, known locally as “Milenyo”.

The typhoon, which reached top wind speeds of up to 185 kilometers per hour, left a path of death and destruction in its wake across South-East Asia, where it caused massive flooding and landslides in both the Philippines and Vietnam. At least 72 people were killed and over 89,000 houses have been damaged or destroyed in the Philippines, while tens of thousands of people had to be evacuated in Vietnam.

“This storm caused more widespread destruction than anticipated,” said the head of the International Federation’s delegation in Manila, Roger Bracke. “One of the major hurdles has been damage to communication networks, which makes getting an accurate picture of the situation very difficult.”

The International Federation’s appeal aims to provide the Philippines National Red Cross with the financial and logistical support needed to help over 25,000 of the most vulnerable families during the emergency phase of the relief operation there.

“We immediately deployed three specialized disaster response teams and over 3,000 volunteers, who have been working non-stop to help rescue people, assess damage and deliver assistance since the storm struck last Wednesday,” said the chairman of PNRC, Richard Gordon. “Many people in rural areas have been hard hit, most provinces are still experiencing power black-outs and the situation remains very difficult.”

The local Red Cross has already provided urgent food relief, including rice and canned goods, as well as dry clothes and hygiene items, to more than 6,375 families in the Philippines, while volunteers and staff are also providing assistance to people at emergency shelters and helping to clean up roads.

Meanwhile, the International Federation has released 100,000 Swiss francs ($80,300 USD/euro 63,000) from its Disaster Relief Emergency Fund to support the Red Cross of Vietnam in responding to the emergency situation there and is expected to issue a preliminary emergency appeal for Vietnam shortly. The International Federation is also closely monitoring the situation in northern Thailand and Laos, where Typhoon Xangsane has caused severe flooding and damage to homes, roads, farms and fishing boats. The International Federation remains on stand-by to provide additional support in those countries if required.

Map

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 187 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. About this site & copyright