The Stress of Debt in Turkey: Focus Group Discussion Analysis Report
Through our Emergency Social Safety Net (ESSN) programme in partnership with the Turkish Red Crescent, and with funding from the European Union, we're providing regular monthly cash assistance to 1.5 million people living under temporary protection and international protection in Turkey.
This report provides an analysis of focus group discussions conducted in December 2020 and January 2021 with 96 people receiving money through the programme. It aimed to explore:
- The borrowing status of households applying to the ESSN and the reasons for borrowing
- The dynamics of debt access, repayment of the debt and debt management
- The impact of being in debt on individuals, family and other social relations
- The coping methods used or thought to be applied in case of not being able to access debt
- What households would prioritize and how they would feel in case of having no debt