Humanitarian diplomacy policy
What objectives will effective humanitarian diplomacy achieve?
- More frequent consideration by decision makers and opinion leaders of the interests of vulnerable people;
- Greater access to and influence with decision makers;
- Greater humanitarian access and space for National Societies and the International Federation;
- Strong visibility for and public understanding of Red Cross and Red Crescent activities;
- Stronger capacity to mobilise all relevant resources; and
The facilitation of effective partnerships when responding to the needs of the vulnerable. It is only through the establishment of humanitarian diplomacy as an integral part of the day to day work of National Societies and the International Federation, with the necessary capacities in place, that the humanitarian objectives referred to above can be effectively realised. The fundamental aim of this policy is to establish humanitarian diplomacy as a permanent mindset across all National Societies and the International Federation. Humanitarian diplomacy includes advocacy, negotiation, communication, formal agreements and other measures.