Geneva, 6 December 2022 – The IFRC is honoured to announce its partnership with the Muslim World League (MWL) to support humanitarian objectives.
The agreement between the IFRC and MWL creates a broad mandate for the humanitarian work and objectives of both organizations. It establishes important objectives to assist those impacted by the international armed conflict in Ukraine. These objectives include, but are not limited to:
- Providing financial assistance for displaced people to support their basic needs
- Providing shelter to those who left their homes and those whose homes were damaged or destroyed
- Providing water, sanitation, hygiene, and health assistance
- Strengthening National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ response capacities
The agreement between the IFRC and MWL also seeks to support migrants and displaced people from disasters and crises in other regions. This humanitarian support includes:
- Food and non-food items
- Emergency shelter
- Water, sanitation, and hygiene
- Health, including mental health support
- Restoring families broken apart
- Child protection
- Prevention of sexual and gender-based violence
- Rescue operations
- Anti-human-trafficking activities
- The promotion of social cohesion between people on the move and host communities
- Supporting migrants and host communities to enhance livelihoods, community-based resilience, and economic and social reintegration
The agreement also sets the goal of cooperation around innovative financing structures and activities, including Shariah compliant fundraising tools.
"We are confident that the new partnership with the Muslim World League will be significant, in order to reach those impacted by disasters and crises around the world. Our joint commitment to humanity and humanitarian action will be strengthened by this collaboration," said IFRC Secretary General, Jagan Chapagain.
“Cooperation among international organizations such as the Muslim World League and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is crucial to achieving our humanitarian goals,” said MWL Secretary General, His Excellency Sheikh Dr. Mohammed Al-Issa.
“The Muslim World League is honoured to work alongside the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to bring humanitarian aid to those impacted by the international armed conflict in Ukraine and to support migrants and displaced people,” he continued.